Saturday, January 07, 2006

New Blogger Post Nicotine

Hi everyone
I am new to this as you can tell! I discovered this site through a colleague of mine and thoght it would be a good way to share my stories and views of life.
I work for the NHS and I am a smoker (not the only one I know) but I feel that we are having to fight for our rights to partake in an activity which we probably enjoy and want to do...and if you work or have ever worked for the NHS you will probably understand the need to smoke!
I am blogging from a hospital computer at the moment and have just come in from enjoying my boost of nicotine and i was not the only one. At a non peak time for breaks there were eleven members of staff all puffing away-what does that say?
It is almost freezing outside yet we are willing and wanting to enjoy the minimal breaks we have.
If the government get their way and believe they are going to be able to stop us the little enjoyment some staff may have in their day will be gone and the NHS could become a more stressful place to work. Emphasis on the MORE. Don't think I really need to explain myself there.
I was recently a patient here myself and it wasn't looking good for a while. I was not aware of what was going on at the time asi was sedated and ventilated but I no it was a stressful time for my family (half are smokers) colleagues (alot are smokers) and friends (most are smokers).
I am not going to go on about my situation because I am far from the only one who has been in that position but how would the smokers amongst that group have coped if they had been frog marched off hospital site to get the needed relief from nicotine? When I was finally allowed to go for a nicotine fix it was heaven but it wouldnt have been if id had to get my hiking boots on!
What happened to individual rights for each person? Why are we being discriminated against?
If you talk to the more 'down to earth, realistic' doctors (yes there are a small handful of them about) they will agree with what i and others are saying so it is not just an unimportant ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) who has these views and that needs to be recognised!
I am going for some more nicotine now.
Bye

3 Comments:

Blogger Gasdoc said...

Well you do need a lot of nicotine don't you! I am impressed with your viewpoint and ability to put it in words. Let me encourage you to carry on the struggle. We must spread the word about your Blog and get you more visitors. You must keep posting whenever a rant comes into your head. Look around "Blogspot's" help files and work out to include links in your sidebar. Cos I'm putting a link on my site to yours and you may need to consider returning the favour!!
Best wishes m8!
By the way my site is www.pro-choicesmokingdoctor.blogspot.com.
Ta-Ta

31/1/06 19:41  
Blogger Ben said...

Best wishes for your blog. Let's hear some more, soon ...

31/1/06 23:11  
Blogger vincent1 said...

gasdoc, I have found this information on the smokersclubinc site, Thought you may like to read it. I have let my feelings known, I have cut and paste this in case you think it is as disgusting as I do. I have non-smoking friends who will be horrified when I show them just how low the Antis will go. So much for health. Doctor: Smoking ban endangers elderly

06:40 AM CST on Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Associated Press

SPOKANE, Wash. - The state's tough new anti-smoking law has an unlikely opponent: a retired doctor who argues the ban is forcing elderly smokers in nursing homes to take unnecessary risks.

Dr. Robert Guild, 71, says the law is forcing him and other smokers at the Maplewood Gardens Retirement Apartments -- some in wheelchairs and walkers -- to brave ice and snow to get to a structure that is far enough away from the retirement facility to meet the ban's requirements.

The smokers have dubbed the structure the "Butt Hutt," and argue that it is a poor replacement to the well-ventilated smoking lounge management provided before the ban on indoor smoking went into effect in December.

"There's overhead heating, but it's very inconvenient, and there are no facilities," Guild said, noting that restrooms are important for folks his age.

Guild started smoking cigars after he retired from private practice and his teaching position at Michigan State University.

He says those who penned the clean indoor air initiative "ought to be shot." But he's willing to negotiate.

"Give us our smoking room back, and all is forgiven," Guild told the Spokesman-Review for a story in Monday editions.

25/2/06 01:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home